Round Table Development Policy
The Round Table on Development Policy intends to promote cooperation and the exchange of information on development policy issues between the city of Mannheim’s political actors, its administrative staff and its civil society.
Development in this context is seen as activities to improve the social and economic conditions regarding the Global South. This includes projects abroad, but also intercultural work or education for example on Fair Trade or Sustainability in Mannheim.
In July 2021, the Municipal Council voted to establish the Round Table (in German: council resolution V255/2021). On October 14, the first meeting will take place. The rules of procedure of the Round Table and its first concrete objectives will be defined then. If you want to take part in this meeting on October 14, please write to the Coordination Office for Municipal Development Policy (German: Koordinationsstelle Kommunale Entwicklungspolitik - KEPOL) at 19KEPOL@mannheim.de.
Membership of the Round Table is open to all civil society groups (initiatives, associations, religious groups, companies and other organizations) based in Mannheim that are actively working and/or promoting development either here in Mannheim or with partners abroad.
Further members of the Round Table Development Policy will be: representatives of the local council factions; representatives from the different areas of the city administration; as well as representatives of the migration advisory board.
The Round Table Development Policy was set up to fulfil the following tasks:
- Networking and coordination in the area of development policy issues.
- Formulation of recommendations to politicians on development policy issues, e.g. drafting of a Mannheim Action Plan on Development Policy
- Providing proposals for participation in competitions, international campaigns and the unscheduled provision of funds within the framework of humanitarian emergency aid
- Suggestion of project partnerships for development
- Suggestion of development policy events and activities, and independent implementation of such activities in cooperation with the municipal administration